Monday, October 26, 2009

New And Improved Mount Cover

After finding condensation on my mount and needing CPR immediately afterwards, I had to come up with a better solution fast to protect my beloved EQ-6. Something quick and easy to build, that wouldn’t break the bank. My visqueen, trash bag, beach towel, T-shirt and more trash bags contraption I was using, just wasn’t cutting it. With helpful ideas from the folks at Cloudy Nights and AOAS Ft. Smith, I think I may have found the solution...

TRASH CANS!

Using a 44 gal and a smaller 32 gal, I cut a 13” hole out of the bottom of the smaller can, allowing it to slip over the mount and pier. Then I set the larger can upside down on the smaller one, they fit snug together too. Drilled a few aeration and ventilation holes, used 2 bungee cords, 2 screw hooks to keep the wind from lifting them up and a hand full of zip ties and about an hour later I was done. Also, I felt the bottom of the larger can would collect a lot of water, so I used its lid to divert the water off.

About the time I finished up with my project, the rain moved in and it hasn’t stopped ever since. I sure hope its doing its job…










No comments: